Icon’s Professional Standards and Development Committee have approved a full review of the Icon Accreditation application and assessment process to ensure that the process remains open, accessible and represents best practice in professional assessment. We are currently seeking expressions of interest from Accredited members of Icon to chair the review panel.
Since its introduction, the Icon Accreditation framework has been reviewed on a five yearly basis, with the last full review taking place in 2019. The review identified the need to evaluate the Icon Professional Standards, as well as to investigate the development of the Accreditation Pathway into a dedicated membership category.
The final area for review which has yet to be completed is on the use of assessors. It has since been agreed that the review should be expanded to analyse the full assessment process to ensure that it is open, accessible and represents best practice in professional assessment.
The following areas are in the scope of the review:
- The method by which the assessment is conducted.
- Underpinning assessment policies.
- The use of volunteer mentors and assessors.
- The role and operation of the accreditation committee including its size and composition.
This review is to focus solely on the application and assessment process. The following areas are not considered to be part of this review:
- Accreditation Assessment will continue to be based on Icon’s Professional Standards and Judgement & Ethics criteria.
- Accredited conservators are expected to demonstrate practice at the ‘proficient’ level against the Novice to Expert scale.
- The assessment process will remain retrospective in gathering evidence of work already completed by a candidate.
- That it is a peer review process, with assessment being undertaken by Accredited members of Icon.
Starting in late January 2022, the review will run across 2022 before finally reporting to Icon’s Professional Standards and Development Committee in November 2022. Through the review process the panel will produce:
- Report supported by clear data and research assessing the overall effectiveness of the Icon Accreditation application and assessment process. This report will include recommendations for how the system could be developed and identify the impact of any recommended changes.
- An action plan detailing the process and timeline required to implement the findings of the research.
The review panel is to be chaired by an Accredited member of Icon and will include assessors, mentors, pathway members and external representatives to ensure that we can undertake a comprehensive review of the assessment process.
Apply to Chair the Review Panel
Icon is seeking expressions of interest from Accredited members of Icon to chair the review panel. To express your interest, please submit a copy of your CV, alongside a short statement highlighting the experience you will be able to bring to the review process by using the form below. The deadline for submissions is 9am, 17th January 2022.
If you have any questions please contact Patrick Whife, Head of Skills on [email protected].
Submit your application