Be connected, be inspired – and join our call for high standards in conservation
Icon members are the heart of the conservation sector, working to protect and care for cultural heritage in museums, in private collections and wherever else it might be found. We’re here to make a positive change for the things we value – so get involved and help us take this forward!
Tap into the energy of the conservation sector
There’s so much going on in conservation it can be difficult to keep track on your own. Join Icon to find all the latest news, events and opportunities in one place. Connect with your interests and help shape developments!
It really matters – and we need your help
Icon makes the case to decision makers on issues that affect cultural heritage, and members are the foundation of our efforts. We want to give confidence that cultural heritage is cared for by fully qualified and capable professionals.
Icon is for everyone!
We welcome everyone with a passion for cultural heritage. Help us celebrate the impact conservation can have, and the ways it helps us understand our past, present and future.
Supporters are often professionals in allied fields, clients or friends of conservators, or suppliers of conservation equipment and materials. They all have a passion for conservation. Through us they follow developments across the sector, and help us to share our message. -- £60 GBP
Student/Intern members are beginning their professional journeys as conservators. They’re learning what it means to be a quality conservator and are getting to know the professional networks that will help them later on. -- £60 GBP
Associate members are professionals in the conservation sector. They know what we mean when we talk about the importance of quality conservation, and they’re actively involved in Icon’s professional networks across the sector. -- £125 GBP
Pathway members are actively engaged and ambitious conservators on their journey towards their professional Accreditation. They’re being mentored by Accredited peers to meet the high standards demanded, and their progress is reviewed annually by Icon. -- £155 GBP
Accredited members are experienced professionals at the top of their game – denoted by the letters ‘ACR’ after their surnames. They are quality assured by Icon through a rigorous assessment and regular checkups called CPD reviews. They are truly conservators you can trust. To find out who they are, check out our free searchable public listing.
You can find full details on Pathway membership and what's involved here. -- £220 GBP
Applications restricted to Pathway members
Emeritus members are those previously Accredited conservators who have enjoyed long careers in the sector, but who have now stepped back from active conservation work. With such years of experience, they have a lot to give – and we are lucky to have them stay with us as we look to equip the next generation for what’s needed. -- £85 GBP
Applications restricted to retiring Accredited members. For full details on Icon's Emeritus membership policy, please see here.
- Icon’s bi-monthly magazine - Icon News - sent straight to your door with the latest on conservation case studies, interviews, reviews and analysis.
- Three yearly editions of the Journal of the Institute of Conservation - a fully peer-reviewed publication focused on the preservation of cultural heritage in all its forms and featuring innovative research and practice-related articles.
- Weekly Jobs bulletin and access to the Jobs section of the website, featuring conservation vacancies across the UK.
- Regular email notifications of upcoming events, courses, news and workshops - as well as a monthly membership roundup.
- Discounted admission to all Icon events (as well as many group and partner events).
- Access to Icon’s 16 specialist groups and 8 networks with their vibrant range of events and networking opportunities.
- A discount on conservation titles published by Routledge.
- Discounts on British Standards relevant to conservation practice.
- Ways to make your voice heard: Voting rights in Icon’s Annual General Meetings, a say in electing new trustees and the chance to take part in internal consultations and surveys around the state of the profession.
Code of Conduct and Professional Standards
The documents set out what is expected of a member of the Institute – setting them apart from the rest.
In the event of a dispute, Icon’s Complaints Procedure was established to resolve any complaint against an Icon member.
Concessions and tax claims
A concessionary rate is available for Accredited, Pathway and Associate Members who are earning an annual income of less than £20,000. To apply, simply upload one of the following forms of evidence to the application form
- HMRC self-assessment income calculation
- Proof of receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Housing Benefit
- Copy of your employment contract signed within the last year or a confirmation from your employer on business letterhead certifying your salary
- P60 or P45
To apply as a Student Member, simply upload a valid student card or official letter of offer confirming the end date of your course or internship.
If you are a UK taxpayer, and you are paying your membership fees yourself, you can claim the tax back on your Icon membership subscription, as HMRC recognise Icon as a Professional Body ('Conservation Institute of').
More information on how to claim tax on membership subscriptions can be found on the HMRC website.
Organisational Subscribers --------- £495 GBP
Organisational Subscibers are for organisations in the heritage sector who wish to receive a subscription to the Icon News and Journal of the Institute of Conservation publications. A single primary contact will also receive member discounts to Icon events and Icon's email notifications on events, courses, news and more.