Setting up and running your own business can be an incredibly exciting and rewarding thing to do. However, ensuring you have everything up in the right way from the start is crucial to giving yourself a strong grounding to make your business a success.
Below we have included links that you might find useful to consider as you go about setting up and running your own business.
This page is being regularly updated, please let us know of any good resources that we should add to the list
Please note, this is information only. You should always seek the advice of suitably qualified professionals
Finding a suitably qualified accountant is crucial, the following links will help you find qualified / chartered accountants across the UK.
Ensuring you have appropriate insurance in place is essential for any business, lest you leave yourself and your business exposed to significant risk. When looking for an insurance provider, conservators should ensure they consider the following:
- Conservators must always obtain their own insurance and not rely on the client’s cover.
- Ensure the insurance provider you are talking to fully understands the detail of your business and the risks involved in the profession.
- Double check insurance values requested by clients to ensure you have sufficient cover.
- Your insurance must cover all nations and countries you work in.
Busineses should also be aware of changes they might need to make in preparation for Brexit on 31 December 2020. Visit the dedicated Government transition website for information that is relevant to you and your business. You will also find a Checker Tool which will point you towards relevant guidance for you and your business
Business Balls is a well known online learning website with 1000s of high quality resources to help you become more effective. The website offers training in leadership, management, personal effectiveness and much more.
- Getting noticed with good photography, with Yeshen Venema
- Making the most of your mailing list, with Angus and Lorna Ross
- Legal requirements for small businesses, with Briffa Legal
Heritage Digital is a new project supported by National Lottery Heritage Fund's Digital Skills for Heritage initiative, which aims to increase free digital skills training and support available to heritage organisations. There are a hold host of resources available including:
The London Business Hub offers free and impartial advice and guidance, with decades of collective experience. It is one example of the national Growth Hub network facilities, which try to offer the best possible solutions to business problems.