West Dean College
Permanent Full Time, or equivalent job share.
£38,950 per annum
West Dean College of Arts and Conservation is an internationally recognised College, part of the Edward James Foundation, a charitable educational trust located on the 6,400 acre West Dean Estate in beautiful West Sussex countryside near Chichester. As well as being a respected educational institution specialising in practice-based arts and conservation, the historic house and collections, the stunning grounds and gardens are open to the public, and the year round events and exhibitions make West Dean truly unique.
We are now recruiting for a full time permanent Subject Leader in Books & Library Materials to lead our Books Department team within the School of Conservation at the College.
The successful candidate will take responsibility for the day-to-day organisation and delivery of subject specialist curricula for the Graduate Diploma and MA Conservation Studies programmes in the Books and Library Materials pathway and the general supervision and care of the dedicated studios and equipment.
The key areas of responsibility will include:
- Take responsibility for the academic leadership and development of the books and library materials pathway through active engagement with practice, scholarship and research and the maintenance of academic and professional contacts and networks in relevant fields.
- Under the direction of the Team Leader for the Conservation Studies Programmes, plan and manage all aspects of either a programme of study, or areas of shared unit curricula; coordinate with other staff across departments, to ensure appropriate efficiencies and delivery of shared curriculum.
- Make a significant contribution to the teaching of books and library materials and to the crossSchool curricula as required.
- Participate in the recruitment of students in liaison with the Registry, Head of Student Recruitment and External Engagement and Subject Leaders.
To be successful in this role you will need to hold a Master’s Degree or equivalent Level 7 qualification and Icon accreditation, together with extensive, demonstrable experience in the professional practice of books and library materials conservation.
You will need experience of, and have a love of, teaching or training and be an outstanding team leader who is used to managing workflows and can demonstrate a professional approach to conservation practice and high standards of professional conduct.
This role requires excellent communication skills, with the ability to collaborate, inspire and build relationships with both students and colleagues.
This position is supported by the Conservation Studies Team Leader, the Head of the School of Conservation, the Academic Registry, Library and Technical Resources. Training can be provided in assessment and feedback methods, building curricula and online reading lists and how to use Canvas, the College’s virtual learning environment. The successful applicant would also be able to study on Sussex University’s, Post-graduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCertHE).
In recognition for all your hard work and dedication, we can offer you:
- Competitive Salary
- 38 days holiday per year
- Life Assurance
- 10 days Company Sick Pay
- Employee Assistance Programme
- 25% off retail and restaurant
- 50% off short courses
- Salary sacrifice schemes: cycle to work
For the full job description, person specification and terms and conditions of employment, or for further information, please email [email protected] or visit: https://www.westdean.org.uk/about/work-for-us.
Closing date for applications is 12th August 2021
At The Edward James Foundation we take privacy very seriously and are have reviewed all our records and processes to ensure that we are fully meeting the data protection standards introduced by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on 25 May 2018. Full details regarding how we collect, process and store personal information about you is available on our website: https://www.westdean.org.uk/about/work-for-us.