O’Sullivan Conservation is a well-established, growing conservation firm that provides professional conservation services for the public sector, museums, and private clients. We conserve a diverse range of objects and artefacts, ranging from, but not limited to, built heritage, sculptures, furniture, and wooden objects. We have a professional conservation studio at Somersby and provide on-site services, predominately in Sydney and NSW.
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace by supporting equal opportunities irrespective of gender, culture, generation, or sexual orientation. We promote and maintain, a respectful workplace culture.
We are seeking a highly organised and motivated Objects Conservator, to work with our team, in our studio and on-site. This would be a full-time permanent position, for a mid to senior career conservator.
Site-based conservation and heritage projects form a significant portion of our work, resulting in a requirement for both hands-on technical and time management skills. Site-based projects include conservation of heritage objects and materials in or on buildings, sculpture relocations, monuments, and outdoor artworks.
What you’ll do
The role would carry out a wide range of work for public institutions and private clients. Including on heritage sites, sculptures, monuments and memorials, artworks, metal objects, ceramics, stone and glass objects, built heritage, Asian and industrial artefacts. The role would also undertake quoting and tendering, condition assessments, maintenance plans, and treatment proposals. Working conditions will be varied, including indoor and outdoor works, work undertaken at height and manual handling works.
To be considered for this role you must have the following:
- It is a condition of employment for this role for the employee to be and remain fully vaccinated (including boosters), with an Australian TGA approved/accepted vaccine or International COVID-19 vaccine recognised by Australia. You will be required to provide evidence of your vaccination status
- Minimum 5-8 years’ experience as an Objects Conservator and relevant degree, qualification or additional work experience
- Hands-on skills as an Objects Conservator, with a strong background in site-based conservation treatments, particularly of bronze sculptures and memorials
- Professional/Associate membership of an appropriate professional organisation, such as AICCM, ICON, IIC, or AIC
- Willingness to perform works outdoors in varying weather conditions (rain, wind, heat, cold)
- A high level of fitness and strength
- Advanced Microsoft program skills (such as Outlook, Word and Excel)
- Ability to evaluate conservation problems, develop solutions and produce practical work and documentation to a high standard
- Experience mentoring and training junior members of staff in conservation best practices and methods
- A portfolio of work, including a summary of each project’s scope, treatment carried out and your specific involvement/role
The ideal applicant will also have:
- Strong organisational and time management skills and ability to work to and meet tight deadlines and be able to deal effectively with conflicting priorities
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service skills and ability to build strong customer relationships
- Australian citizenship or residency, or existing work visa. O’Sullivan Conservation will consider visa sponsorship of an appropriately qualified international applicant
- Australian/International drivers’ licence and reliable vehicle
- Construction industry white card, or willing to obtain one prior to commencement
- Working at heights card, or willing to obtain one prior to commencing
- Be willing to travel for on-site projects in regional areas
- Experience working on sculptures at height from an elevated work platform or scaffold
What we offer:
- Experience in a wide range of conservation projects
- Mobile phone
- Flexible working arrangements
- Annual professional development
- A market competitive remuneration package ($75,000-$85,000AUD), dependent on experience.
Why O’Sullivan Conservation
- We value safety above all else so you will benefit from extensive, internal training and support, with new and up-to-date equipment and PPE
- We work in a high-performance environment and value the employee experience. You will be supported by exceptional people, able to grow your skills and career, as well as deliver outstanding outcomes to clients where partnership, excellence, and integrity are paramount
- Your well-being is important to us and we offer a range of flexibility to meet your personal and professional goals. We also have a strong commitment to diversity and our business practices create an environment where your individual differences are valued.
If this sounds like the role for you, please email your resume, including a brief cover letter (no more than one page) and three references to:
Should you wish to discuss the position, please call Hannah Newman, Contract Manager, on +61419 380 065 during business hours (AEDT).