[This job does not comply with Icon's salary recommendations.]
We are seeking a full-time Easel Painting Conservator with at least 3 years’ working experience in Painting Conservation to join our busy Carlisle, Cumbria studio.
You will work on a range of practical treatments and assessments for our private clients, institutions and insurance companies.
- Verbal and written assessments, condition reports and treatment proposals.
- Examination and treatment of historic and artistic paintings, painted surfaces and artefacts in the studio and on-site.
- Familiarity and adherence to the Icon practices of conservation and museum-quality standards.
- Varnish removal, re-varnishing, surface cleaning (from dirt, mould etc.), removal of overpainting and retouching of oil paintings and artworks.
- Repair of complex tears, dents, flaking paint, cracked and warped supports or delamination.
- Ability to complete routine filling, lining, stretching and in-painting with minimally intrusive techniques.
- Accurately match colours, paint application appearance and techniques of artists.
- Cleaning, repair and gilding of frames.
- Working under your own initiative in a fast-paced team environment.
- Solve complex treatment issues and work under pressure to meet deadlines whilst upholding
- confidentiality and ethical standards.
- Demonstrate sound judgment, risk management and an eye for detail.
- Excellent communication and organisational skills.
- Ability to manage workflow effectively.
- Travel for on-site conservation projects is possible
Required qualifications and experience:
EDUCATION: Degree in Art Conservation, or commensurate conservation apprentice training and experience.
EXPERIENCE: At least 3 years of painting and painted surface conservation. Working knowledge of art history, chemistry, studio art technique and Icon conservation standards are a must.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a vibrant and ever-growing team, based on the edge of the Lake District.
20 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays
To apply for this position, please email r[email protected] with a cover letter and CV addressed to Chris Bull.