Find out more about the 3rd Icon Book & Paper Group Conference...
The Conference will take place over 4 afternoon sessions from 4 – 7 October 2021.
The conference offers an opportunity to share and exchange ideas demonstrating how we are constantly required to evolve within the Book and Paper specialism. We bring conservation forward with modern advocacy and solving current issues. How are sustainable environmental decisions incorporated into our work? How are we addressing the lack of diversity working on a material that holds such diverse history and cultures? What new tools, techniques and treatments have been adapted or introduced to the field? How is Book and Paper conservation merging with digital solutions to improve access and efficiency in workflows?
The conference will be completely online in response to environmental, accessibility and health priorities.
CALL FOR POSTERS
The Icon Book & Paper Group is pleased to open the call for posters. Please download and use the designated template, sharing what you want your poster to demonstrate. This is an opportunity to share a project, a treatment, a program, surveys or introduce new ideas in a visually appealing and succinct manner.
Participation from students, new Icon members and professionals in allied fields is encouraged.
Special consideration will be given to ensure that a variety of topics and geographical/cultural range will be represented.
Only one poster per presenter. Posters selected must be in English and submitted as a PDF. All Poster Proposals are subject to approval by members of the Book & Paper Group Conference Committee. The deadline for posters is 22 March 2021.Conference Poster Template
The Book & Paper Group are excited to announce our conference photo competition. Send us your photographs relating to our conference theme, and you could be going to Mod Cons for free! We have three free conference tickets to give away.
There are three categories in which you can enter: general (anything relating to the conference theme in its many aspects), fun (conservation is full of fun, show it!) and behind the scenes (what is there that is usually hidden from a camera?).
How to enter
Upload your photograph to social media (Twitter, Instagram or our Facebook page) or email it to us.
Include the hashtag #IconBPG21 in your post. If you are submitting via email, please include the hashtag in your subject line. In order for your submission to be counted, you must include this hashtag in your post or email.
You must also include which category you are entering in (general, fun or behind the scenes) and your name. The competition is open to all, Icon members and non-members.
By submitting images to the competition, you are giving the Book & Paper Group permission to use these images. We may use these images in print, on our website, on social media or elsewhere.
If you have already purchased a conference ticket and you win one of the bursaries, we will refund your purchase.
Remember, we are looking for photographs which relate to the theme of the conference and which can be used by the Group.
One entry per person. Additional entries will not be counted.
The photo competition will close on 30 April 2021 and winners will be notified shortly after.
The Icon Book & Paper Group have compiled some FAQs about the conference and application:
- Is the conference on Zoom? The conference will be using a platform called Accelevents. This is a single platform which provides social interaction and connectivity opportunities for both audience members and presenters.
- Why must I record a video for an application? Since this is an online conference, presenters will need to be able to navigate online conference platforms. Recording a video allows us to confirm that you have the technical skills to present your paper.
- How will you prevent unconscious bias in your selection if there is a video? We have actively sought to reduce the potential for bias. The selection panel have specifically been chosen from a variety of countries, backgrounds and stages in their career from both within the committee and outside the committee. A scoring matrix highlighting selected categories pertaining to the papers theme and content is used in the selection process to minimise unconscious bias.
- How must I record the video? We understand that people can't access work computers/equipment so feel free to record your video on any device at this stage. We are happy to be flexible and agile with this aspect.
- Will the application video be used for any publicity? No, application videos submitted will not be used for any publicity or sharing purposes. The video is an informal way to confirm online capability.