The Icon Book and Paper Group present a rich conference that aims to progress conservation through advocacy and understanding solutions for our current challenges. #IconBPG21 offers the opportunity to engage, listen and open dialogue through 16 papers, 4 keynote presentations, 4 workshops, multiple dynamic sessions and behind-the-scene tours.
This third BPG conference offers an opportunity to share and exchange ideas demonstrating how we are constantly required to evolve within the Book and Paper specialism. We bring conservation forward with modern advocacy and solving current issues. How are sustainable environmental decisions incorporated into our work? How are we addressing the lack of diversity working on a material that holds such diverse history and cultures? What new tools, techniques and treatments have been adapted or introduced to the field? How is Book and Paper conservation merging with digital solutions to improve access and efficiency in workflows?
The conference will take place over four afternoons, from October 4th to October 7th 2021, and will be held online on Accelevents, an all-inclusive and interactive conferencing platform. See the agenda and book your tickets here.
We are honoured to have keynote presentations from:
- Dr. Shamil Jeppie (University of Cape Town) - Book culture research and conservation in Timbuktu and the Sahara.
- Jane Henderson (Cardiff University) - Inconvenient questions and the question of neutrality.
- Claire McGuire (International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions) - Inspiring and informing development: Advocating for culture in sustainability.
- Richard Mulholland (Northumbria University) - Lessons from Kabul: Remote learning and teaching in conservation in an active conflict zone.
The Book & Paper Group are excited to announce that the deadline to our conference photo competition has been extended! The competition will run until 4th July giving three lucky winners the chance to go to Mod Cons for free!
Find the conference agenda and tickets here.
There are three categories in which you can enter:
- General - anything relating to the conference theme in its many aspects
- Fun - conservation is full of fun, show it!
- Behind the scenes - what is there that is usually hidden from a camera?
HOW TO ENTER
1. Upload your photograph to social media (Twitter, Instagram or our Facebook page), or email it to us at [email protected]
2. Include the hashtag #IconBPG21 in your post. If you are submitting via email, please include the hashtag in your subject line. In order for your submission to be counted, you must include this hashtag in your post or email.
3. You must also include which category you are entering in (general, fun or behind the scenes) and your name. Feel free to add a caption to your image. The competition is open to all, Icon members and non-members.he photos should relate to the conference theme.
By submitting images to the competition, you are giving the Book & Paper Group permission to use these images. We may use these images in print, on our website, on social media or elsewhere.
If you have already purchased a conference ticket and you win one of the bursaries, we will refund your purchase, excluding payment processing fees.
One entry per person. Additional entries will not be counted.
The competition will close on 4 July 2021 and winners will be notified shortly after.
Our conference is proudly sponsored by: